First off I'll start out by saying, "I lied". Sorry. My last post I bragged about getting A's in both my classes and it didn't really happen. The teacher told me that I was getting an A but when grades came out, I had a B+. I am fine with that so don't get me wrong but the teacher didn't have one of my assignments marked. I have since notified her but have yet to see a change. My grade point is 3.43 and that has NEVER NEVER NEVER happened to me before. I plan to continue to do well, even better, and ask that you all forgive me!!!
On to the real reason for my post.
This has been a non typical Christmas for me and my family. Things have been tough here, as is the case just about everywhere, and we were the recipients of much service this year. How grateful I am for those that were looking out for my family and we are eternally grateful to have such loving people around us.
I remember 2 Christmas' ago when the Young Men and Young Women were doing the 12 days of Christmas for some 'older' people in our ward. Jacob was assigned to a sister that we don't know real well. I'm sure when Jacob came home from YM the night he got the assignment, he was not planning on doing anything (somewhat typical teenager). Anyway, I could not allow that to happen so I took it upon myself to make sure that there was always something for him to take to this sweet sister. In the course of this activity, Nicholas and Joshua became involved and it soon took off as a family project. The YM were supposed to make things so not to cost much and since I am not a crafty person and therefor neither are my boys, I purchased some very cute and inexpensive things to give. Each night my boys would remind me that we had to do our 'Secret Santa' gifts and at times even argue about who got to go to the door and ring and run!
We did this for our half of the 12 days ( a young woman was assigned to do the other half) and at the end of the days, all 'older' people were asked to come to the church to meet their 'secret santa' and get their last gift. Our sweet 'older' lady was the only one who came to the church, we were told, (I had primary party that night and being in the presidency, felt I needed to be with the primary kids) and we were one of only a couple of YM/YW who actually did their project.
I know that my children enjoyed this experience and I hope they remember it always, like I will.
This is the message I hope to get across to my children: It's NOT about what you GET, and NOT necessarily about what you GIVE, it's the UNSELFISH acts of LOVE and KINDNESS that MATTER. Too many people spend and spend and spend to please their friends and families and THAT IS NOT WHAT IT'S ABOUT. The Wisemen who brought 3 small gifts for the Lord. The Innkeeper who gave Mary and Joseph the only available space he had, which wasn't much.
I hope that we will all remember the true meaning of Christmas. Christ was born. We cannot take Christ out of Christmas, it would just be Merry Mas, and that just doesn't make sense.
16 years ago
way to say it sis. Thanks for the post. And while I am on here I will say thank you so much for the cute blocks. They are so nice and we will enjoy having them in our family room. Thanks for your love and your example and goodness.
ReplyDelete