
I figured this picture of 'shingles' would look prettier than an picture of my actual 'shingles' on my body. That is right, I have shingles.
If you have never experienced them, let me just let you know a little bit about my experience..............
Intense pain in my armpit, yes you read right, I said armpit. I started with a little, what I thought was a shaving rash. It kept getting worse and I was having a lot of pain in my armpit and shoulder blade. I couldn't figure why this 'rash' wasn't getting any better when I noticed that the 'rash' was becoming blisters. I called and got an appointment and found out that I had shingles.
After being in pain for about a week, being sick enough to my stomach to not be able to use the restroom without getting dizzy and throwing up, and being on mega doses of medicine, I am on the mend.
Shingles is caused by the chicken pox virus that after you have them, it lingers in your spinal column just waiting for the right moment to sneak up on you. I somewhat remember being on a train in Germany and having to be 'quarantined' from the rest of my class on our field trip because I got the chicken pox. This was somewhat similar. No drink runs with friends, no school for the week, I was quarantined again! I laid here on my 'bed' watching tv, sleeping when I could, reading my CNA textbook, watching tv, throwing up, itching like crazy and not being able to scratch, and wishing I could take something for the pain. Oh yeah, I forgot the best part........the Lortab the doctor prescribed me made me sick to my stomach and throw up. Yippee for me, I was in shingle heaven.
Now it is Friday, I am still itching like crazy, just took my last dose of prednisone, still have a few days of antivirals to take and did I say itching like crazy? If I could get away with having a wooden back scratcher in each hand, going like crazy on my back and each of my boys with one going at my back I would be so happy, so so very happy. I went on a drink run with my good friend and I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
No comments:
Post a Comment