If I had a crystal ball and could see into the future, I think I'd break it. I think about how hard things are for us right now and I can't help but think that it's only going to get worse. My oldest son, Jacob, has been searching for a job for about 4 months and has filled out about 16 or so job applications and ..... nothing. Now it doesn't help to be in the situation he's in but still, that's crazy. I have filled out lots and keep getting these letters saying thank you for your interest in our company, but sorry...you're not what we're looking for. I haven't even been able to get an interview. I guess that's why I've decided to go to school. I get tired of hearing the same old thing, you make too much money for certain kinds of help but yet we're just barely getting by. We are getting about half the money back in tax return so stocking up on much is out of the question. I guess I'm feeling the pinch and I just want to pinch back. What will happen to our families if both parents end up working 2 jobs each just to support their family? What about the kids who will ultimately get into trouble because there is no one home to greet them when they get home because parents are both gone. Now I know that it won't happen to all kids but I guarantee there will be a few. What about their school work, extra curricular activities that will fall by the wayside because no one is home to take them, or it is something that has to be given up because of the lack of money, even though you are working 2 jobs each? What will happen? I am scared by the future, in a sense, because I can see this happening to my family. We have no education, post high school, that is. My oldest son thinks that he doesn't even need that and that scares me even more. How do I get through to him that he needs to get an education and even a post high school education? I have tried and tried but to no avail. How do I keep him from being in the same predicament that we are in?
Well, I guess enough of my ranting and raving. This is just what's been on my mind lately.
16 years ago
You must have woke up to one of those news reports Cole said he hears every morning. He said everyday the news doesn't get any better. I am no fool so I won't try to smooth it all away, but you know we would drown in our tears if we concentrate on the negative, so sob for a while if you must then wipe those tears and look for the rainbow or something. I believe that though it seems bleak there is a lot of good things left in this life. Cole and I spent our life trying to live essentially debt free and now that the economy is tanking, we are in more debt than we have ever been in in our entire married life, probably put together. But...we can't give into the despair. Remember Marilla on Anne of Green Gables said "to despair is to turn you back on God". So there is my rantings and ravings and you didn't even ask for it!!!
ReplyDeleteAlthough I am pretty good at giving advice & lectures (the quality of which is doubtful), you probably don't want to hear it coming from your niece :) Just know that you're not alone in your struggles & worries & that in the end, everyhing will be all right. Maybe not perfect, but all right. I truly feel that we are being watched over, especially in these difficult times.
ReplyDelete