I've been thinking a lot about the examples in my lives and how that makes me who I am. First off, my Grandma Gilson. My grandma is 'the' example of enduring to the end. She raised 6 wonderful children who are all productive members of society. She took care of husbands who passed before her to the best of her ability and with great love. She was loving and compassionate and served others well. She had hard times and fought through them and was a strong woman because of it. I remember my grandma taking trips with us, to Arizona to visit my sister, Yellowstone, camping in the mountains and at the time (I was a teenager) I didn't really appreciate it and soak in the memories but what I wouldn't give to be able to take a trip with my grandma now. When I said that my grandma was THE example of enduring to the end this is the memory I think of. When my grandma was very sick and we knew that the end was coming, she had her children all around her, except for one, my dad. Now you may wonder about that as my grandma was my mothers mother and not my fathers but he was in most senses of the word her child. My dad was camping and was on his way home and was trying to make it in time and lo and behold my grandmother hung on until all her children were by her side before she left this earth. I will ALWAYS hold a very special place in my heart for my Grandma Gilson as she was the only grandma I knew. What a truly wonderful woman she was.
Next comes my own mother. For those of you who know her, I need not go any further but I will anyway. When I was a rotten teenager (and I was) my mother was the Relief Society President (from 13 to 18 I think). I know that in previous blogs I have posted things about my mom so I will not duplicate, much! I remember my mother doing her duties to the best of her ability and then some. She was always going the extra mile to help someone in need. I remember one Thanksgiving when the Bishop told her that there was not enough money in the budget to buy turkeys for the families they were taking Thanksgiving dinners to but that they would provide everything else. Well that just wasn't good enough for her and she went and spent her own money to buy turkeys for those families. At the time I maybe thought she was crazy but now I know that it was her kind heart that made her do it. My mother and I did not always have the best of relationships (back to that rotten teenager thing!), but when I needed my mother when I was 19 and single and just found out that I was pregnant and scared to death, she was there for me. It was at that time that I feel our relationship really started to grow into what it is today. Oh sure, she and dad were not the happiest people that day but I knew when I left the room that I had their love and support and always would. The next few months were trying ones but they never left my side.
My next example is my mother-in-law, Donna Rogers. I only knew Donna for about 2 1/2 years but what a woman she was. She too is an example of enduring to the end. She suffered from an aneurysm and came back strong, not like she was before but she endured and made the most of life. She was a very hard working woman, I saw that and heard many stories attesting to that. She was amazing at canning. She canned everything and she worked right along side of my father in law and her children in doing so. She made wonderful quilts and pillowcases and such. She taught her children the importance of hard work and you can see that in them now. She loved her family and her family loves her. She passed away just 3 days before my Joshua was born but I know that she smooched on him before she sent him down to us. I wish that my children and I had the opportunity to know her better.
Next would be my two wonderful sisters. They are truly great examples to me. They have each raised their children strong in the gospel of Jesus Christ. Thir children have served and one is currently serving missions, married in the temple and are raising wonder children themselves, those who are married, and those who are not yet, they will!!!! My oldest sister, who I didn't really know well until the last 13 years, is a great example to me. She influenced me to be a better mother and to try new things. She wakes up at the crack of dawn to take care of her family and works the entire day long. I can bake bread because of her encouragement and example. She is STRONG in the gospel. She recently was made Young Women's President in her ward and all I can say is "I'm glad it's not me!" Actually I know she will do great and it will definitely be a learning experience for her.
My next older sister is also a great example to me. She served a mission, raised her children while working full time. She is very musically talented as well as spiritually. She has sent me some of her talks that she's given over the years and I read them and am just amazed that I know someone with such a great gift and talent and knowledge in the gospel. She has moved from Utah to California to Ohio to Colorado to Germany and manages to keep in touch with people from each of those places and so you know she's friendly. She has an awesome talent in the Title Insurance business and is so knowledgeable. She has raised 2 wonderful and talented children in the gospel. She loves my cinnamon rolls and thinks it's funny that I'm a holly homemaker sometimes. I have learned so much from her when it comes to primary callings and such but also in just how to be a friend. She has been my friend for many years, we worked together, twice, she watched Jacob when I had dates and couldn't afford a baby sitter.
There are so many other examples that I just can't name them all but I am very grateful for you and for your examples to me and my family. Thank you for making me what I am today (only the good parts!!!).
16 years ago
Way to go, make me bawl like a baby. Thanks for such nice things. I'm not very good at expressing myself on these type of topics, but I want you to know that I love and respect you so much. I am so thankful you are not only my sister but my dear dear friend. I am so thankful that you stay in touch so well. Sometimes I feel sorry for myself because my sisters live so far from me and I realize that I don't always nourish our relationship like I should. But I love you a lot and I wish I could spend more time with you--thank goodness for the phone and unlimited long distance. I'll end with just this thought. When God sent me a sister,(or sisters) he must have interviewed every angel in heaven for the job!
ReplyDelete