16 years ago
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Nasty Disease
I got a text early this morning and it was my bowling friend, Jean. She's telling me that she had a tumor removed from her brain last week and been trying to find a way to tell me. Finally she just decided to text me, so not to wake my family, and let me know. So.....picture this......I'm sitting on my stool at work, surrounded by lots of money, trying to decide if I should read the text (I am at work you see) or wait until later. So I decided to read it and there I am crying because I just find out that my friend may have cancer. WOW. What a way to start your day. I had my best friend die of cancer 5 years ago this July 6, at the age of 34 and now this, not that she's dying but you get where I'm going. What do I do with this. Why doesn't this disease just pick up and move on? Been there, done that. See ya later. Asta la vista, baby. There have been too many people in my life (and not) who have lost their lives to this nasty disease and I just isn't getting any easier to handle. I called her and talked to her, let her know I love her, told her I'll be there for her, that she better call me so I can help her, and even volunteered to bribe the theaters into letting us have a private showing of Harry Potter so that we can stop it and start it according to her upchucking from chemo. We talked and laughed and then when I hung up the phone, I cried some more. To my friend, Jean: I hope that I can be the kind of friend you have been for me over the past 7 years and that you know that I will do what I can, and then some, to help you out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are the most caring, compassionate person I know. I love you and hope you know how much you are needed by others. I'm sure Jean appreciates your love and care just as much as you appreciate her.
ReplyDeleteWow, that is tough news to get...I hope that things go well for Jean.
ReplyDeleteHang in there Sis! I don't have words to express how I feel. But ditto on the "nasty disease" part!
ReplyDelete