Because these are tough times, I told my kids that we wouldn't be having Christmas this year. My youngest informed me that even though 'we' wouldn't be having it at out house that we 'would' be having it at grandma and grandpas house. (I guess because that is where we have 'had' Christmas for the past 10 years. To Joshua, that is Christmas. Anyway, I guess the word got out about our very low key Christmas and on Christmas Eve we were the recipients of jolly ole Saint Nick. I heard a knock at the door and when I got there, there were 3 garbage sacks full of boxes for my struggling family. Now these were not any ordinary boxes. They were the most beautiful boxes I had ever seen. Filled with things that my family needed; new work boots for Marvin, shoes and shirts for Nicholas, shirts and money for Jacob, and shirts and pants for Joshua. I received some clothes also, but I wasn't thinking about that. We also got 2 fun family games that we have played numerous times since that night and each boy got a new book. My Nicholas, who just turned 11, responded, "I knew Santa Clause was real". To that comment I post this blog.
For those of you who know me well, you know that Santa Clause does not play a big part in my family's celebration of Christmas, but over the years I have been the recipient of and also tried to be the giver sometimes, of Santa Clause acts. I remember as a young girl, being the one to deliver my mothers special dress to a special person each Christmas. I remember my mother doing special things for people in the ward, not only because at the time she was Relief Society President and that was her duty, but doing things because she wanted to and because of the feeling that I'm sure it gave her and because she is a kind and great person. I remember the look on my sons face every night for twelve nights as he heard the knock at the door and someone dropping off the new days gift for the 12 days of Christmas. I remember last Christmas as my boys and I delivered our own gifts to an elderly widow in our ward for the 12 days of Christmas and how excited they were to be a part of it. This was an activity that the Young Men/Young Women were doing but we did it as a family. I remember that the night that the secret Santa was revealed to this lady, that she was the only one that showed up and how special that was for our family. I remember being a single mother and having things dropped of at our apartment door and how grateful we are to those who have found it in their hearts to do things like this for our family.
So, you wonder, what brought this up. Well, last night at bowling the team captains were approached by the Secretary of the League about a young man who had lost his job, but wanted to continue bowling but was struggling to pay his weekly fees. The first thing that sprung to my mind is that Marvin and I should help him. But how can we do this when we are having a hard time paying for ourselves. I was torn. I wanted to do a good deed but was having a hard time finding a way to do it. Well a few other people helped him and got him caught up so that now he can continue bowling for a time. I of course immediately cried and thought that no matter what the world looks like from the outside and as a whole, there are still plenty of good people out there. People like those that helped my family at Christmas time, thank you whoever you are, and those that helped this young man out in his time of need. I know that bowling and Christmas gifts are totally different but the act of giving was the same; Someone doing a good deed for someone else. I know that each of us do good deeds quite frequently in varying different degrees and those of us on the receiving end of those deeds are forever grateful. May the Lord bless you all in this coming year and may you be on both ends of good deeds a plenty this year. I love you all.
16 years ago
Thank you Shirlene, I "ditto" your comments. I think many have been on each end of the stick so to speak. As a whole, I believe things are getting worse in this world, but I also believe there will always be some kind hearted folks ready, willing, and able to help others! Thanks again for the comments...JKC
ReplyDeleteNice blog - and wonderful post! I did not know you had a blog until just a few minutes ago, but I'm glad you do.
ReplyDelete